Materials: OverviewSunday, April 14, 2019 5:34 PM
Types of materials in Paradise Sandbox
In Paradise Sandbox, there are two different type of materials:
1 Built-in: Materials that you're able to select using the material selector: metals, woods, ...
2 Custom: A set of materials that the user is able to customize using their own textures: diffuse, normal and specular maps. These are the materials used when you import a new asset to Paradise Sandbox.
All materials have a set of unified parameters that the user is able to see (and also change if it's a custom material):
Note 1: only change these properties (using the Property Editor) when the material is a custom material (white preview). If it's a built-in material, material properties are not going to be properly shared between the forward and the deferred passes.
Note 2: when you import an asset, all subentities will use custom materials by default.
- Diffuse map: The classical diffuse map that defines the color
- Normal map: The classical normal map that defines the normal at each point of the model (tangent space)
- Specular map: A texture that defines the power of the specular highlights at each point of the model (black means zero power, black full power)
- Specular power: Multiplier of the specular effect. Values >= 0.7 means reflections are taken account.
- Specular shininess: Shininess value of the material
- Color: For materials without diffuse map, it defines the color of the surface
Using custom materials